THE Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for damaging wind and heavy rainfall in parts of the Maranoa, Warrego and Darling Downs districts.
The warning was issued just after 5pm today.
According to the Bureau, severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the area over the next several hours.
Locations which may be affected include Roma, Charleville, St George, Mitchell, Surat and the surrounding areas.
Other areas which may be affected include Goondiwindi, Warwick, Stanthorpe, Inglewood, Allora, Clifton and Moonie.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advise that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it's flooded, forget it.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and power lines.
The next warning is due to be issued by 8:10 pm.
For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132500.